Monday, June 20, 2011

We Are Being Relentlessly Pursued By Love


How difficult is it to attain enlightenment or to have a close relationship with the Divine?

What have you tried? Of course there is prayer, meditation, doing good deeds, giving money to the church, trying to act in a decent manner and avoiding committing sins (whatever we label as sins).

We read countless numbers of books and articles and listen to thousands of sermons during our lifetimes. We try to garner advice on the spiritual life from teachers, friends, family.

So why does it seem so damned painstaking to have a healthy relationship with God sometimes?

Perhaps it's that we're just plain trying too hard. I recently stumbled across the New Living Translation of a verse found in the Psalms. It reads as follows:

"Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life,and I will live in the house of the Lord forever." (Psalm 23:6)

Interesting. This version doesn't simply suggest that God's goodness and love will "be with us" (as comforting as that may be) or that if we're lucky we'll attain goodness and love somehow. Here it says that God's goodness and love will pursue us. Which begs the question: What if we're just getting in the way? Am I viewing the Universe as a stingy place where I have to beg mercilessly for good things to happen to me? Do I have an "undeserving complex?" There's another verse in the Bible that talks about God working everything together for good for those who love God. Do you really believe that? Do I really believe that?

What if God (the Divine, the Universe, Spirit) is wanting to surprise us with abundance and goodness, but we're too busy out wandering around looking for it? There's the well-worn saying "Let Go & Let God." It tends to annoy me, as do many well-worn phrases. But perhaps there's a lot of truth to it. Instead of running around trying to become closer to God somehow, maybe we need to take some time each day simply resting in the knowledge that God is not only willing to be present in our lives, but She is pursuing us with an intense love that does not die.

I encourage you - I encourage myself - to take some time today to let yourself be pursued by Love.

Blessings,

Mark Andrew

Blog Archive