Sunday, June 5, 2011

Random Thoughts On A Wordless Sunday


4:37p.m. Uptown Waterloo

It's kind of frustrating when as a writer you come across moments, even several days, when you seem to have nothing to say. Usually on such occasions I just refrain from attempting to write, but what's the challenge in that? So I'll see what random thoughts I can come up with.

1) I'm really enjoying Elton John's "Songs From The West Coast" album at the moment. I highly recommend it. I know someone who would never listen to Elton John because he's gay. Nor would they watch Ellen because she's a lesbian. How absurd is that? A question I have always wanted to ask this person is "Did you ask the cashier at the grocery store today if she's straight? Was the person you purchased your couch off of a heterosexual? Can you be sure?" If you're going to avoid gays like the plague you better be thorough!

2) When I got to church this morning there wasn't coffee out like there usually is before the service. As a result, I seriously almost nodded off and fell off my chair more than once (though the sermon was good...) Also, I haven't been able to "fake it" for years now. I've had a shitty week, and just couldn't bring myself to sing or take part in the responsive affirmations today. It's the same when I don't believe something, I won't recite it simply because everyone else is.

3) I wonder if everyone wants companionship? I mean, some people are fiercely independent, but I wonder if even they desire it every now and then; I would think so. The question just came to my mind: "What is it that everyone really wants?" Love is the obvious answer, but it's too easy. So "companionship" and "understanding" are coming to mind instead. I think most of us want the comfort of knowing that there is at least one other person on this planet who truly understands us through and through and wants to be with us.

4) I'm hoping for a call back from a potential employer tomorrow or Tuesday, but secretly I don't want to start immediately so that I can continue to re-grow my beard.

5) Once again I'm addicted to Star Trek: The Next Generation thanks to a friend lending me the first two seasons. I really have to find the picture I had taken in uniform when I was 12 years old. True story.

6) This week I have had serious questions about my spiritual beliefs, almost to the point of wondering if there is in fact anything deeper about life or a spiritual reality whatsoever. Perhaps it's just a need to read into things that I've had since I was a kid. But then an incredibly sexy young woman walks into the coffee shop and I'm a believer again.

7) I'm ready for a lot of changes.

8) I must start singing again.

Well, I guess that's all for now. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday,

Mark

Blog Archive