Sunday, December 21, 2008

Email / Comment of the Day: Stephen Davis Book on GNR


Courtesy of my editor Keavin over at antiMusic...

So I went to check out W.A.R. at the library and it was gone. I grabbed this instead and I have to say I am absolutely astonished at how bad this is. I would say Stephan phoned this in but that would be too big a compliment. He gets so many simple facts wrong and contradicts himself so many times I'm beginning to wonder how valid his past work was. His publisher should be ashamed because a simple fact checker could have corrected a lot of things like calling Paul Stanley the bass player of KISS. I'm not a Bon Jovi fan at all and even I know Slippery When Wet wasn't their debut album. But with facts like those being wrong, you begin to question a lot of things he writes about Guns. I'm half way through and I've spotted dozens of glaring errors. It's really too bad because now I question his past work as well. The only thing that would be forgivable with this book is if he came out and said it was ghost written and he lent his name to it because it is beyond sloppy journalism. He couldn't even keep a coherent timeline, it's jumps around like a crack addict after a hit. If you're looking for a definitive GNR bio this is not it.

Read my review of the book here.

Blog Archive