Friday, February 19, 2010

New antiMusic article: 'Soraia-The Road Not Taken'

Last December Soraia singer Sue Mansour came to visit me in Chicago for the intent purpose of sitting down and getting her story for a feature-length article. Over two days, she peeled off layers of her soul I never expected and gave me such a bevy of information and jump-out-of-your-seat quotes that it took me forever to find the muse when compiling it all.

After nearly a month of trying to edit and write simultaneously, I started over, threw caution to the wind and had a enormous piece. It has been edited down and now you can read the final product over at antiMusic.

I've written extensively about Soraia before and you can read all of those articles at this link.


Inside a cold and shadowy Philadelphia house, two men are hovering over the body of Sue Mansour, lead singer of the band Soraia. One is panicked while the other is holding her lifeless body as tears stream off his face dripping onto her cold lifeless skin as a needle, which provided a potent shot of cocaine to her right arm, lies next to her motionless body. There was no pulse, no physical reaction and it appeared for all intents and purposes that she was in an everlasting catatonic state. As Sue Mansour recollects the story to me she states quite austerely, "I was dead".

Read the rest of the 4,000 word piece here.

Blog Archive