Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bon Jovi Honolulu, HI 2/12/10 Concert Report, Set List & Suggestions

Bon Jovi performed their second show in Hawaii this past Friday and I have to say, I was rather floored with a few inclusions. This was the first "get Ready" since the European tour of 1988. It was the first "Only Lonely" since August of 1986 where the band played it in Japan and also the first time Hugh McDonald has performed any of these songs in concert. "Only Lonely" was one of those songs I threw in the category of "We'll never hear that one ever again". There's the god awful video and well, it's not their strongest song, but I will be damned, they forged ahead and played it. This is a good sign of things to come.

A few emails I received said the crowd was not into the show and even had Jon Bon Jovi chastising them. This is possibly due to a few elements. The first being that the show is taking place in Hawaii. What makes a rock n' roll show such a invigorating experience is that everyone brings the weight of their world with them through the doors of a concert hall and the crowd let's go of themselves, their pain and their struggle in the process. This is Hawaii, what does anyone have to be stressed about?

One minor complaint about the set list; there doesn't seem to be a theme or any good pacing going on. Overlooking the set list below, you don't have a sequence of more than two songs that are hits. Yes, I know I chastise the band continually about relying on them, but they would be better off playing a sequence of hits here and there to allow the new songs and quieter ones to breathe. An audience will forgive you if you wallop them in the end and I don't see it below. Still, considering these were largely rehearsal shows, it's a good start.

Also, a suggestion to those who want to follow the tour, bookmark this link. A fan made blog covering the tour by Hath which will include pictures, set lists and links to available YouTube videos. You can't beat that.

On a side note, the official fan club is releasing full rehearsal clips of "Hardest Part is the Night" and "Only Lonely". I must say, this is a step forward in the right direction for their fan club. Snippets to non-fan club members can be found here.

Honolulu, HI: The Blaisdell Center Arena 2/12/2010 Set List courtesy of this link
Lost Highway
We Weren't Born to Follow
Bad Name
Born To Be My Baby
Get Ready
Only Lonely
Thorn In My Side
When We Were Beautiful
Whole Lotta Leavin
Superman Tonight
We've Got It Goin On
It's My Life
Bad Medicine
Hallelujah
I'll Be There for You (Richie Vocals)
(Richie Sings the Blues)
Brokenpromiseland
Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
Who Says You Can't Go Home
Love's The Only Rule
Wanted Dead or Alive
Livin On A Prayer


My suggestions to improve the Bon Jovi set list:

1. Rotating Opener (I Believe/ Lost Highway/Blood On Blood/ Get Ready/Breakout/ Hey God/ Raise Your Hands /Cover/ Etc)
2. We Weren't Born to Follow
3. Bad Medicine
4. Superman Tonight
5. Shot Through The Heart (or another 'Bon Jovi' song)
6. You Give Love A Bad Name
7. Born To Be My Baby
8. I'd Die For You / Misunderstood / In These Arms /
9. Ballad (Bed of Roses, Always, 'These Days' song)
10. '7800' Slot
11. 'Circle' song
12. 'Lost Highway' song
13. Wild Card (Saturday Night, etc)
14. When We Were Beautiful
15. Richie spot
16. Loves The Only Rule
17. Lay Your Hands On Me / Raise Your Hands / Have A Nice Day/ Hey God, etc
18. Lay Your Hands On Me / Raise Your Hands / Have A Nice Day/ Hey God, etc
19. It's My Life
20. Keep the Faith

Encore 1
21. Wild Card
22. Wild Card
23. Wild Card

Encore Break
24. Wanted
25. Who Says You Can't Go Home
26. Prayer

By ending the main set and the 2nd encore with a bevy of hits, it allows them to take some chances in the main set. I'm sure that as the tour goes on, they will find their stride.


"Get Ready"

Blog Archive