Thursday, November 27, 2008

2008 Turkey's of the Year (Worse Music Albums of 2008): Motley Crue 'Saints of Los Angeles'

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was a good one. As I was eating my meal yesterday, I thought I should start to gather my year-end lists and start posting the good and bad of 2008. I might as well start with the bad, so here we go with the most underwhelming record of 2008; Motley Crue's Saints of Los Angeles.



Ever since the Crue reunited in 2005 and the tour was a success, the band has been talking about releasing an album of all new material which they finally got around to this past June. Sadly, it showcases a band who are former shadows of themselves.



I found myself unimpressed with it upon my initial listens and as I went back a few weeks ago to give it another spin, I found that my gut instinct was dead on. This is largely a Nikki Sixx solo project where Mick Mars (the only good thing on this album) got to write his own riffs. Tommy Lee and Vince Neil didn't bother showing up until their drum and vocal parts were needed. Plus, instead of pulling in a producer to guide them and give them criticism, the band hired a buddy of Nikki's and the end result is an album no one will remember or even give a second thought to a decade from now.



My full review can be read over at antiMusic at this link.

Blog Archive