Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Keith Urban on the CMA's 11/12/08-"Sweet Thing" review


I'm not a country music fan. Don't get me wrong, I admire the art form and view many of the classic country artists (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams) to be nothing short of sheer brilliance. However, in the last few years I have been semi-seduced by country music. It's sometimes not even about the music, but about the attitude. Sadly most of country these days has more raw voltage than some rock concerts these days.

That being said, I worship at the altar of Keith Urban. He's a consummate performer who has more in common with John Mellencamp than Garth Brooks. Watching him perform his new song, "Sweet Thing" on the CMA's and as my wife turned to me and referred to his music as "highly listenable". Urban has a penchant for melody and the song anchors itself on a brilliant chorus. As a live performer, Urban (for my money) is one of the five best live acts on the planet at this time. The new single isn't edgy or rabid but it's memorable amidst sustained power chords and layers of subtle instrumentation. For those of you who have not taken a close look at Urban, give his music a closer listen, you'll be surprised.

Blog Archive