Sunday, October 5, 2008

Reason 1,974 Why Bon Jovi Won't Get Into The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame Any Time Soon

I like Bon Jovi, ever since they debuted two-decades back I've always felt they were unfairly ridiculed and attacked. But at the movie theater this morning, I had one of those deep sinking feelings providing me with a feeling like watching their QVC appearance a few years back. "Livin' On A Prayer" was used extensively in the trailer for the new Kevin James film Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Why?

Why?

Why?

OK, they just grossed a $100 million on a world tour, their previous two grossed $100 million and I'm trying to wrap my head around why they would need the money for such a film full of dribble. This isn't a prestige film and by allowing the songs use in its trailer diminishes not just the song but their street cred as well. The voters of the Rock Hall are a bunch of elitist fuckers who think their shit does not stink. However, they shy away from artists who sell their craft for meaningless money grabs like this one. I'm sure the band secured a nice six-figure deal for its use in the trailer, but they don't need the money. They're not an independent artist or even an up and coming one. There is not one good reason for them to whore arguably their most popular song out for the sake of a few dollars. I would have rather seen them offer it to an indie film at a discounted rate. There is much to be gained from carefully placing your music into ad's, films and television shows, however, this film looks horrendous and I can only imagine that it's even worse than the trailer actually is.

I received a number of emails after the band's non-inclusion on this years ballot, but in all honesty, I was not surprised. The Hall has never inducted people as a result of record sales. If so, Kenny Rogers would be in it. In fact, dozens of other acts who should be inducted (Rush, Alice Cooper, KISS, Beastie Boys, Moody Blues, etc) who have been eligible far longer than Bon Jovi that still have not had their name come up. If anyone at the Rock Hall sees this trailer you can make sure Bon Jovi won't ever get in until after they are dead.

Judge for yourself.

Blog Archive