Saturday, August 6, 2011

Amy Winehouse Dies and she does deserve recognition!

Well everyone knows the news by now! Amy Winehouse is no longer with us. Whilst it does not come as a shock to me, it does. I think in the back of our minds we did not expect Ms Winehouse to live for a long stretch but it is always shocking when you actually hear the news. What shocks me even more is the response that she has gotten from some people. Yes she has dominated the news recently and so she should! She is a British icon and her death would be heavily publicised, just like her life was. I recently joined the RIP Amy Winehouse fan page on Facebook and what really annoyed me was that every other comment it was someone writing something like “Don’t you think that the 93 people that died in the terrible Norway shootings should deserve a little more notice” erm. To be blatantly honest, no they should not on an Amy Winehouse tribute page. They can have all the notice that they deserve on the victims of the Norway killings page but I really do not think that they should have notice on a page dedicated to Amy. These two news stories have been intertwined on Facebook in some sort of “Who deserves to be dead more” face off and I think it is disgusting. I understand that there are many people out there that do not like Amy Winehouse and to them I say “then don’t listen to her music and read news stories about her then” Yes she was addicted to drink and drugs and yes this is the probable cause of her death but just because she was addicted to drugs and alcohol really does not make her any less of a person in my eyes. Its not like she killed anyone or was a truly horrible person to anyone, it was herself that she has taken it all out on so why are so many people adamant that she is a horrible worthless person. She had an amazing talent that will be recognised for many many years to come. Her songs were different, her writing amazing and that is what I will always remember her for. A great musician. She may have cut her life short but I guess that not many of us know the powers of addiction and the pains that she may have been going through. We only have her music to peer into the windows of her life. I am not saying that these poor people in Norway deserve any less recognition but I am saying that Amy still deserves hers. I will miss her, I did not know her but through her amazing talent we all got that little bit closer to her,

Signing out, Thatmfeeling

Blog Archive