Thursday, October 28, 2010

James - "Sometimes" Live @ Webster Hall


There's something about this song that just send chills down my spine. It comforts me in moments of need, it elates me in moments of bliss and helps push me to let go of anger and hate. I plan one day on writing in-depth about this song. James is best known for their Laid album in the US, more specifically the single. But they have a treasure trove of wondrous songs that can show you where Coldplay steals all their tricks from. I was 17 the first time I heard "Sometimes" and my friend Kevin played it for me. This was before the Internet or instant access to music. If you wanted to hear something, a friend had to own it or it had to be on the radio. If I had a dollar for every time a friend turned me onto a piece of new music, I could live happily the rest of my life.

OK, I'm getting off track (this is what happens when you do these posts on-the-fly). Ever since I heard this song and the lyric, "Sometimes I look in your eyes and see your soul", well, it just wraps itself around my heart and makes me feel a little less alone.I've seen James twice in recent years and let me tell you, they haven't lost a step and in many cases are performing better than ever. I'd dare to say that the performances of "Sometimes" during this period (2008-2010) are definitive. Below is a clip from the band's recent New York stop and watch it and prepare to be amazed. The sound is a little rough, go fast forward to the 5:00 minute mark and watch and be amazed. James may be playing clubs and theaters here in America, but they play them as if they are stadiums. How many acts can you say that of? Not many. If you don't have their Best Of from 1998, do yourself a favor and get it, I promise you, it will be a desert island disc in no time.

Until then, watch below and see one of the greatest songs ever composed done in all its glory with the help of a veracious New York crowd. It should be a crime to have a song make you feel this good.