Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Biz: Why Trent Reznor and Will Hoge "Get It" (Trent Reznor's 'How To' Guide For Up and Coming Musicians)

I meet many a new and upcoming band these days and they always ask me for my advice on how to break on through. What I usually tell them is that if they want to retain their independence, they need to do via a grass roots movement. I usually point to two artists whom I greatly admire and are making an impact on their own. When I first saw Will Hoge in 2005, I was astonished. My mouth was on the floor. Little did I know he had already been signed to a major label and wanted out. He knew that by leaving the label would ensue that the road ahead was going to be very bumpy, but he also knew that (for him) staying with a major label would have deteriorated his soul and his love for music. I always point to Hoge as an example; he went out on the road, plays 200+ shows a year and wins his fans over one by one. He’s now signed to a smaller label and making great music. More importantly, he’s making the musis he wants to make. But he knew he had to get out there and win people over one by one. Fortunately for Hoge, he’s one of the most refined and capable performers I’ve seen in the last decade, and I know people will be transfixed if they see him.

Now what if you’re not a powerhouse live performer or you are still honing your chops? I always suggest giving your music away for free. Yes, that’s right free. I say this because I am inundated with at least a few dozen emails weekly where people want me to listen to one track. I will admit, the ones who send me full albums are the ones that I listen to. Granted, they don’t always move me, but that’s OK. But what’s important is that I listened to it. Now, I’m often met with resistance when I suggest it but when I’m cornered I always point to what Trent Reznor (the second person who I see as a model of independence) has done over the last few years and how he is actually increasing his fan base with his fan friendly releases.

Trent has posted to the NIN forums and well, if you are a young up and coming band, this is essential reading. Think of it as “How To Make It 101”. Here’s a select example of what he wrote:

Forget thinking you are going to make any real money from record sales. Make your record cheaply (but great) and GIVE IT AWAY. As an artist you want as many people as possible to hear your work. Word of mouth is the only true marketing that matters.

Read Trent’s full manifesto here:

Blog Archive