Wednesday, June 16, 2010

You Can Trust Yourself

Do you know that you can trust yourself? Maybe you do, maybe you don't. I never used to think that I could trust myself when I was growing up as a fundamentalist Christian. I believed that humankind in their natural state were sinners and that their ways were naturally distorted and bent. It was only through salvation by Jesus that one could be cleansed from this, but still you couldn't trust yourself. You could trust God and Jesus, and perhaps your pastor, but not yourself. We were naturally corrupt, and thankfully had the word of God, the Bible to refer to in all matters.

But today I trust myself.

I trust myself now that I view God as the divine Spirit within whom I live and whom I am an expression of. I trust my feelings, whether they be of love or sadness, anger or pain. I do not try to pray them away or run away from negative emotions. Rather, I sit with them and try to understand why they're there. I am learning to listen to my body. If I am feeling sad, I let myself feel sad. If I feel the need to be held, I get together with a friend who can hold me. If I feel like I want to kiss someone, if I am in a relationship I kiss unabashedly.

We are not bad, we are not untrustworthy.

We Are Good, and We Can Trust Ourselves.

Blog Archive