Thursday, March 18, 2010

RIP: Alex Chilton 1950-2010

This is a sad day. Alex Chilton passed away yesterday from a heart attack. It's entirely possible you haven't heard of Alex Chilton, if that's the case, go here. I'll fully admit I didn't know too much of Chilton until the Replacements immortalized him in the song "Alex Chilton" from their 1987 record, Pleased To Meet Me. If you have ever seen That 70's Show, then you heard "In the Street" by Cheap Trick, but it's really a cover of a Big Star song (co-written by Chilton) from the early 70's. Throughout his whole career, Chilton walked just outside of the mainstream, but one listen to the power-pop goodiness of his songs, well, it's hard to imagine wy he wasn't a household name.

Just last year, Rhino Records put out a incredible box set by Chilton's most famous group, Big Star. I would highly suggest buying it and if it's too costly, check your library. There are other writer's more talented than myself to write about the man and his career, so I will leave it to them, but I highly suggest you check him out yourself.

Rolling Stone's Rob Sheffield has a wonderful tribute that should be read here.